Old 12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
elize marie mann

Default [IBC] '03 award programs

If this is the case in USA I really feel very sorry for all of those people
not beeing able to enjoy the sometimes overwhelming appearance of those
great trees which would otherwise be totally out of reach to most of us
normal mortals.
It is the generosity of those collectors who allow us for a little while to
share in the greatness of their treasures.

And being a struggling hobbyist myself I feel very much joy and admiration
for the look of a perfect branchstructure that has been worked on by
generations of bonsaiprofessionals.

I think instead of the envie I sense(If I am wrong I am sorry for that), a
little appreciation or even gratitude would be more in place toward the
generosity of the collectors.

I just think that the world of bonsai is a little bigger as just the irst
few years of trees in training.
Nothing wrong with that........just there is more and nothing wrong with a
little awareness on that part too.

My 2 cents,
elize
From: "Craig Cowing"
Andy:
Let me ask the $5 question. Do you personally know of anyone who is in

this
desperate situation you describe, being a wealthy person who pays

someone
else to
style and completely maintain their trees, and who is suffering terribly

because
nobody will allow them to display their trees in competitions? I guess

I'd like to
hear from this shy group of people myself.
Craig Cowing

-----------------------------

Alas, I cannot help you. You see, this "group of people" does no exist in
the U.S. community because our organizations have worked to make them
unwelcome and provide nothing of interest to them through their

publications
and activities. How sad. In the world of American bonsai, if you ain't a
hobbyist, you ain't nuthin'.

In partial answer to your request, I can tell you that I know of one
collector in this country who has a talented professional maintain his
collection. This person has some of the best bonsai in this country, but
has exhibited them only once - when a small company hosted a judged

exhibit
where the entry criteria were based on size and species (rather than how
long he has been training them or how long he's been in bonsai or how long
he has owned the trees). Getting to see his bonsai was a wonderful
experience and certainly inspiring. He's not a member of any club

because
no club or national organization is even slightly concerned with

individuals
like him - a collector.

Yes, this is a "single" instance that I know of - and for good reason.
Surely I don't have to explain the reason.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++