Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 PM
paghat

Default snowy, lonely and tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and newsgroup

In article , "madgardener" wrote:

It's still snowy up here on the ridge, I'm dying of loneliness, (Squire's
gone, son took off to town with his girl type friend yesterday) and I'm
tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and wreck
gardens. Don't get me wrong. I'm GRATEFUL that I CAN access my newsgroup and
read my e-mail thru web browser, and there are some who are e-mailing me at
John's address. but I can't send pictures or access some of the sites I take
forgranted. I need to rearrange my priorities..........

GARDEN NOTE: The Jewel orchid is starting to slowly show fuzzy pod like
flowers all folded at the tip of the stalk. The Korean Crinum is finishing
up in the dragon cave under the florescent light Squire rigged up, and I
haven't killed his Angel fish yet g. They've moved me inside to the cash
registers until the season starts back in Outside Lawn and Garden despite
that I am still needed in the greenhouse..........oh well, at least I HAVE a
job GBSEG I am going to bundle up tomorrow and gather up the empty pots
lying around the grounds. Tally will come afterwards.

I'm lucky to live in a place where it's really possible to garden almost
year-round outdoors, even though not many people bother to do so. Within
the next week or so I will be stripping up a weed-smothering cloth I put
down eight or nine months ago, then will churn & enrich that newly
weedless ground, then put together a low-maintance garden for which I have
a bunch of pots as yet unplanted: blue rose of sharon, hybrid scotchbroom
cultivars, & a couple of largish rugosa roses, plus will transplant from
other gardens to the new one the succulent ice plant & the lambsears that
were spreading too much & threatening nearby things in another sun-garden,
&amp move a yellow poker plant to the new area as it got so big it blocks
an important path. There's already another (red) poker plant & a couple of
rockroses in the area I'm about to plant in earnest, & three young trees
-- so this will be a very decent start on a newly substantial garden, even
if it starts out looking dead until spring buddings. This is a fairly
major project for this time of year & there's no hurry, & as I was sick
for a couple weeks (flu) I have to catch up my book-business shipments & a
few other things, but soon as I'm caught up, it's back to gardening even
if it's semi-nasty weather.

During the coldest days of December until the recent snowstorm (we had the
ground completely covered for four days), I couldn't really do any
gardening to speak of, so ended up cleaning out all our vivariums, then
putting up some new plant-pages at paghat.com about terrarium & aquarium
plants, & updated some window-succulent pages. But I really don't do much
gardening indoors so it's a poor substitute, & I dunno what I'd do if
winter gardening were REALLY impossible, as could happen if we ever do
move to Idaho where the ground seriously freezes &/or remains under snow
so that all gardening stops. Suppose I'll have to have a greenhouse if we
ever do locate nearer my sweety's family, as is occasionally threatened.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"