Old 13-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Alan Connor

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:40:13 -0500, Peter H wrote:

Alan Connor wrote:

None of the grasses in our locale are like that.

I overspoke to the extent of broadening 'grasses' to vegetation in
general. In northern Maine, very little of the vegetation is true
grasses. Much of what ordinary folk would call grass is sedge instead.
Some of their fruiting bodies (seeds) do funny/harmful things to human
innnards. Along with offering a very dull manner of starvation by
malnutrition.

Pete H

Okay. But the roots of SOME sedges are listed in various books on wild
edible plants of North America as edible and "nutty in flavor".

I don't keep up with these plants, there being few marshes in the area,
but DO remembering reading that in more than one book.

The seeds could very well be poisonous, but sedges have no joints in the
stem and are thus very easy to distinguish from grasses.

As for your last statement about "malnutrition", it just doesn't make any
sense to me at all.

I have never even HEARD of a person practicing an herbivorous diet-style
that limited themselves to only one plant.

Who would do that when there are THOUSANDS available, which is considerably
more than the selection to be found in the average market.

You sound like an animal-product addict that is trying to convince yourself
and others that people can't be healthy and have tasty food if they eat only
plants, which is just nonsense.

I REALLY recommend checking out madcowboy.com and the various studies and
links found there.

Particularly the China Project of Dr. T. Colin Campbell

AC

--
When eating an elephant
take one bite at a time.

--
Don't eat elephants. They are an endangered species.