Old 13-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Sue

Default snowy, lonely and tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and newsgroup

"madgardener" wrote i
I'm still determined to get that clivia of mine
to bloom for me and am about to sequester it into a cooler room for six
weeks..........
--
Hey Mad!

Good luck with your Clivia! Are they triggered to bloom by a chill period
or is it day length?

I have a huge one now, started from seed ( by moi) 13 years ago. Its in a
dark, cold corner of my house, which keeps it from leaping out of its 5
gallon pot. . It is raring to bloom just about the time the first rays of
late afternoon sun creep around the NW corner of the house. Last February I
had 8 bloom stalks, I have left 2 stalks with seed pods. One of those pods
is now turning deep red, which I've heard is a sign of ripening seed.....how
cool it would be to start another baby clivia from this mature plant????

Mine did not start to bloom until it was about 5 years from the seedling
stage. Now I get at least one, sometimes 2 stalks from each center.

I don't water it much at all ( this summer we were away for about 6 months,
returning home once a month for lawn mowing. It got drenched at that time
but no other watering. It doesn't get much more than that when I am here,
either, until I see the bloom stalks appearing. I have discovered that I
have to water more when in bloom to force the stalks above the leaf centers
or the flowers will attempt to open before the stalk elongates.

Sue in Maine