Old 13-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Sue

Default snowy, lonely and tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and newsgroup

LOL Janet, I can only imagine. It is 0° C right now here and tonight the
forecast calls for -40° C ( and colder with wind chill) tonight.
Sue n Maine

--

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...

I'm still determined to get that clivia of mine
to bloom for me and am about to sequester it into a cooler room for six
weeks......

Mine's put up three flower bud spikes since the two of us dragged its
huge pot indoors the week before Christmas. Before then it had been
outside (since May) in an open-fronted south facing porch, so it had a
baking in summer, then a long cool period with little watering. A couple
of light frosts didn't affect it at all. I know of someone in the SW of
England who grows it in the garden all year round, so I'm wondering if
clivias are much tougher than we give them credit for. I'm going to try
an offset in a sheltered bit of the garden next year and see if it
survives (we don't get an awful lot of frost here).

It's mild here atm but we've had such heavy rain in recent weeks and
the soil is so saturated,there isn't much I can do in the garden.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland)