Old 13-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Pyracantha Hedge

In article ,
M K Rogerson wrote:
"Sarah" wrote in message
ws.com...

I have a 2 metre high pyracantha hedge which I need to thicken up as
its on the boundary between my garden and the main road.

Is this possible at all, I'm happy to lose some height if needs be.

Sarah. 8 years ago we moved into our house with a very thin untidy
Pyracantha hedge. It has responded well to regular pruning and shaping and
is now even and unpenetrable (except by the redwings which have recently
stripped every berry from it). Get stuck in.

Yes, pyracatha responds well to being cut back hard. I would cut it
back to somewhere like 1-1.5 metres high in spring, give it a bit of
fertiliser as it starts to grow, and trim back again next winter.
Assuming it is healthy, it will be back to 2 metres and a lot more
solid by the summer of 2005.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.