Old 13-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] '03 award programs

Art collectors don't
necessarily have any interest in learning how to "do" the art.

They instead
COLLECT the art.

Yeahbut . . . ART collectors as most people understand the term
only have to dust their collection occasionally.

Bonsai are unlike other "art" forms (I'm assuming something here
that I don't necessarily think applies to all bonsai) in that if
the collector doesn't at least water them, the investment in the
"art" will dry up and blow away. Since, unless the collector has
live-in staff whose job is solely to maintain his collection
(unlikely) rather than contract help who drop by every so often
or on a schedule, he should (I'd think) want to be able to at
least take emergency actions if someone dumps a martini or spills
toilet-bowl cleaner on the roots of a Kimura pine.

Even if a collector's paintings get slashed, she can wait to get
them restored at the convenience of the restorer. That option
isn't available for a drunken or poisoned pine. The Collector
needs to be able to repot -- and NOW!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++