Old 14-01-2004, 02:32 AM
madgardener

Default snowy, lonely and tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and newsgroup

well rats butt...........do you think if I put mine in a cold dark spot NOW
it might bloom in 4-5 weeks? I am DETERMINED to get this thing blooming.
And damnit, I just watered it today.............. Pen will kill me!
worse, she sent me four special clivia seeds of one of her hybrids and they
just refused to germinate for me woulda been a trowel in me bucket if
they'd popped open, they were a soft peachy salmony orange
sigh................madgardener ever trying to get that Clivia to bloom
"Sue" wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote i
I'm still determined to get that clivia of mine
to bloom for me and am about to sequester it into a cooler room for six
weeks..........
--
Hey Mad!

Good luck with your Clivia! Are they triggered to bloom by a chill

period
or is it day length?

I have a huge one now, started from seed ( by moi) 13 years ago. Its in a
dark, cold corner of my house, which keeps it from leaping out of its 5
gallon pot. . It is raring to bloom just about the time the first rays

of
late afternoon sun creep around the NW corner of the house. Last February

had 8 bloom stalks, I have left 2 stalks with seed pods. One of those

pods
is now turning deep red, which I've heard is a sign of ripening

seed.....how
cool it would be to start another baby clivia from this mature plant????

Mine did not start to bloom until it was about 5 years from the seedling
stage. Now I get at least one, sometimes 2 stalks from each center.

I don't water it much at all ( this summer we were away for about 6

months,
returning home once a month for lawn mowing. It got drenched at that time
but no other watering. It doesn't get much more than that when I am here,
either, until I see the bloom stalks appearing. I have discovered that

have to water more when in bloom to force the stalks above the leaf

centers
or the flowers will attempt to open before the stalk elongates.

Sue in Maine