Old 14-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Graeme

Default Best trays to use in a Propagator?

Hi,

Last year I promised myself I would grow some fruits/vegetables next year
and true to my word, last weekend I went and purchased some Tomato,
Sweetcorn, Runner Beans and a few other packets of seeds.

Also some Seed and Cutting compost plus "Peat Pots" - as I liked the idea
that you sow the seed within the pot, and then when it comes to re-potting
you plant out the complete pot - as in the past when re-potting young plants
they always seemed to die on me.

So I thought I was ready come Feb when the Tomatoes need to be sowed, and
the rest is around March/April time. But then I started reading about
propagators. I plan to sow all the seeds inside first, the room I plan on
using has lots of natural light, but of a night (in the early months of the
year) the room can be quite cold once all the heating goes off (although I
doubt it drops to below 19c, but not sure).

So I think a heater propagator would be a good purchase, looking at them in
my local B&Q all they seem to be is a unit which is heated and contains 2 or
more seed trays. Do you have to sow all the seeds in the tray, as I would
be worried when it comes to re-potting, although some come with cells which
I guess would be easier to use.

Although B&Q do a propagator which is 57cm by 38cm, so if I took out the
trays I think I could fit in a number of those "peat pots" I purchased,
which will make my life even easier (the brand is Growarm).

So getting to the point, I am concerned about re-potting my plants, so I am
looking for the best kind of pots or trays I should use to make things easy
plus give my plants the best chance.

Thanks!

Graeme