Old 14-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Classic Roses

The message
from Rod contains these words:

Sanders White, Super Exelsa. I'm still watching Francis E Lester -
that might
just do it, somewhat less vigorous than the other 2. You need the side
of a 3
storey mansion for Kiftsgate.

I had a Kiftsgate which ramped up one tree then effortlessly reached
over 4 or 5 metres (a mere season's growth *for each stem*) and covered
several others nearby. Frances Lester is much more restrained in growth
and flower IME. The flowers are very pretty (especially for cutting) but
the growth is a bit stiff and gawky to my eye; it's perhaps better
scrambling about a thick copse where the rose branches are concealed
from view. A favourite all-round star for growing up a tree, is Paul's
Himalayan musk, with small pale pink double flowers and long flowering
season.I first saw it grown up a spreading apple tree, and mine grew up
a tall silver birch; but it has such a light airy grace it doesn't
overwhelm the charms of the host. Wedding Day is a more modest size and
very pretty too.

I've never had any mildew or noticeable aphids on the big roses, they
are very tough and when grown up a tree need very little care.

Janet,