Old 14-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Rod

Default Classic Roses

Janet Baraclough .. wrote:

I've never had any mildew or noticeable aphids on the big roses, they
are very tough and when grown up a tree need very little care.

Yes, that's something I've noticed. Our Bobbie James at home is scrambling
through trees in the sunny edge of a wood and is as clean as a whistle. Bobbie
James at the Hall is on an East wall with another wall blocking sun from the
South - a long way short of ideal I know but that gets crippled by mildew most
years and often blackspot as well (it's still needing to be restricted to keep
it on a wall around 20 metres long x 5 metres high) We have to take care to
stop it getting under the slates on the roof above. Francis E Lester is a bit
stiff and awkward, but those flowers are a delight.
---
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
My email address needs weeding.