Old 14-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Rod

Default Best trays to use in a Propagator?

Graeme wrote:

Thanks. My plan was just to wait until they start coming though and then
moving them out of the propagator and placing them around the house so they
all get a good position for the light, until the time is right for them to
go outside.

That's fine, if you need to cool things off they take less of a check if you do
it as soon as they've germinated. Be selective about what you put in the
propagator. Hardy veg like brassicas I'd sow in plug trays on a windowsill.
Things like Tomatoes, peppers etc you will waste space if you do them in plug
trays, just sow those in something like small margerine tubs and prick them out
into small pots or plugs after you've weaned them from the propagator. Lettuce
don't like to be hot so again use plug trays on the windowsill. Sweet corn -
your room will be warm enough to do those on the windowsill when it's time to
put those in. Beans likewise. Broad beans sow outside the moment the soil is
dry enough to make a seedbed. Early peas you can do in lengths of plastic
guttering if your window sills are big enough. Don't be in too much of a hurry
to do any of this otherwise you will have loads of plants needing to be spaced
out and moved on while it's still too cold outside.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html