Old 15-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Steve

Default Grafting to Fruit Tree

The weirdest graft I have done is a pear grafted to a mountain ash. The
mountain ash grew wild next to a cedar tree. I cut down the cedar tree
and later grafted the pear. It is big enough now to produce a nice crop
of pears. The original tree, that provided the scion wood, died before
it produced. Less winter injury on the one grafted to mountain ash.
You would never guess by just looking but mountain ash and pears are
actually related. (they can be hybridized as well)
Many years ago I tried to graft things to some choke cherry sprouts. You
would think they would be compatible with the other stone fruits. I
grafted several kinds of plum, Manchurian apricots and a couple types of
tart cherry. Every graft grew and most grew very fast. By fall, 90% were
dead and by the next summer, all were dead. I had to give up on that.
I have wondered if any of the other wild cherries might allow a graft.
We have black cherry and pin cherry. There are none near my yard and I
never did try it.

Steve in the Adirondacks (where we have not been above zero for 2
days... again)

Jerry Small wrote:
Just curious if any home gardener has had success in grafting say a
hybrid peach, plum, pear twig to a volunteer tree, ie, one that grew
from seed. If so, what are the critical points in the process that
determine success or failure?