Old 15-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default hidcote superior lavender

"mmarteen" wrote in message
Paghat,

Is there any difference between hidcote and hidcote "superior"? I am
actually looking for something small or dwarf to fit into a little rose
niche that I am planning.

I should also mention that I am in zone 4, Minneapolis and I know that

most
lavender is on the edge here. I had a couple different varieties of
lavender a few years back at my old place, a hidcote, a munstead and a
croxton's wild which all died when we had a rediculously dry, subzero
winter. I now have some munstead along a walkway that I hope to keep

alive
with serious mulching every year.

'Hidcote Superior' is a refined version of the standard 'Hidcote' lavender.
It produces plants that are very compact and uniform in appearance and with
a consistant, very dark blue color. This is a new seed strain and true
hardiness is not yet fully tested - I've seen reports to zone 5 or 6. You
may have even better results since the plant is so compact (12" max height),
it presents a much lower profile to the weather. Just make sure drainage is
very sharp.

pam - gardengal