Old 15-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Christopher Norton

Default Is the existence of the Woodland Trust justified?

The message
from (AMacmil304) contains these words:

The idea is to reintroduce native species rather than imported ones.
Exactly what you are advocating below. As for the sustainable timber
source you are having a laugh as you clearly have no idea about timber
qualities. Much of the home grown conifers are of very poor quality and
exceptionally wet in comparison to the timbers of scandanavia.
Therefore, they need much more kiln time to get down to a usable
moisture content. Not very enviromentally friendly.

No. It's about cost more than quality.

Why is it about cost? End usage for most home grown timber is on the
lower end because it does`nt have the required strength requirements due
to it`s quality. You cant get commercially grown Scottish timber of TR26
(thats a strength grade) in any significant quantities because the
timber is`nt good enough.

The Woodland Trust doesn't grow oaks for timber and the main fiixing time is
during early growth. Conifers can be harvested and replanted to
maximise carbon
fixing.

Granted but coniferous timber does`nt have the same lifespan of hardwoods.

Roof trusses (the bits
that hold your house roof above your house) have no time guarentee on
them. If they were to fail after 10 years of inhabitation you would have
absolutly no way of getting anything back. All made from coniferous
softwood.

Most are from coniferous softwood. Ours is probably 250 years old at least.

250 years and coniferous softwood? I doubt it very much to be honest.
BUT the fact is that I bet the sizes are huge compared to the somewhat
slender sizes used today (35x 72mm and even 35x63 on webs)

Reintroducing native species is the correct thing to do as everything
gets on with it, it`s called a symbiotic relationship

Not for the wrong reasons

What reasons would they be? Taking away introduced species for natives
is sense alone surely. Going back to how it used to be before man came
along and decided the world was our playground.

. Man is the killer
of these things.

You don't seem to have worked out that "the planet's most damaging and
intrusive mammal" IS man

I know damn well that man is the worst thing on this earth. I don`t see
anything else dropping bombs, using fossil fuels etc.

Woodland trust is simply attempting to redress the
balence.

No. They're activities are damaging to the natural environment.

In what way? Surely attempting to manage woodlands better by
reintroducing species which will live together better as they used to.
Regardless of what man will do it will kinda even out.

By the way, I guess you like red squirrels and that *******
american crayfish which is tearing our native species apart.

I like grey squirrels just as much as red. Why should we who are raping this
planet decide what should live or die?

Unfortunatly, animals have died out over the years and so will mankind.
Accept the fact that in real terms we have been around for no time at
all and you`ll have a happier life.

Can the existence of the Woodland Trust be justified in terms of
combatting
global warming?

Go tell that to George over in the states who does`nt give a flying f*/-
about global warming.

Better still, ask the WT to produce an Environmental Impact Assessment to
determine whether their activities, and the activities they encourage in
others, has a positive or negative effect on global warming. Bet they don't
reply!

They wont reply because global warming is just that, a global issue.
What their activities are involved in is managing woodland. In many
cases they are actually increasing them. Alot of these are hand in hand
with the likes of future forests and the forests forever campaign backed
by the timber industry. Certainly where I live we actually have
woodlands now (sounds pathetic I know but we have very little in
southern lincs) Surely these help with global warming on a localised
scale. BUT it`s small fry against the amount of fossil fuels burnt over
in the states. At least the Uk and indeed europe is trying.

You have to start looking at the bigger picture Angus and not on
individual causes.

Angus Macmillan
Roots-of-Blood Campaign
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk