Old 15-01-2004, 06:32 PM
paghat

Default Wind Chimes

In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

Used to write a long time ago but gave it up when my agent said I should add
more sex. I figured if that's what it took to sell a book forget it. I
refuse to write that stuff.

One of my novels had exactly one paragraph tepidly describing a sexual
interlude & the copyeditor marked it for removal. I talked my editor into
putting it back, it was such an innocuous little scene & stupid to censor
it. For genre books like science fiction & mysteries & Harlequin romances,
it's still to a large extent 1955, it's still assumed only young teens or
very immature adults buy paperbacks despite that they're not labeled for
kids, & so including even slight adult-content can be an uphill battle.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"