Old 15-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Françoise

Default hidcote superior lavender

Hi,

My daughter has some lavender, we both live in Canada in Zone 5 Cdn. It t=
hrives
well in her garden. Some years ago she gave me some to plant here. Some t=
hing
happen to it (I do not remember what) and it died. I just ordered some se=
ed from a
catalogue. I ordered their Hidcote Bleu Lavender.

Here is what was written about it.
Hidcote Bleu Lavender (P)
Lavender angustifolia
Common Lavender or Mediterranean Lavender. The best and most compact form=
=2E Dark
foliage color and deeper blue flower than Munstead variety. Flowers June =
August. Height 12 inches. Zone 5.

Note that Canadian Zone 5 is colder than the American zone 5. For example=
today,
at noon on a sunny day, the temperature outside my house was -25 degrees =
C (-13
degrees F) with a strong wind, which would bring the temp. to -40 degrees=
C (-40
C). I can tell you it is cold.

I will have to wait for June 2005 to see if they are truly perennials.

Fran=E7oise.

paghat wrote:

have no experience in such a chilly-wintered climate. Hidcote is not
usually recommended below zone 6, but is certainly stretchable down to
zone 5 with some protective measures.