Old 16-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Wasps !!!

"Arklay" wrote in message
Cheers for the advice folks...

I dont mind wasps too much, just when near the end of summer they start
bugging you if you have something sugary on you like an ice cream or

drink.

Can't remember the reason for this, something to do with them having

stopped
working for the queen and having to feed themselves if i remember right.

No, they're not receiving a 'reward' of sugar from the larvae when they feed
them protein. That's because there is a decreasing number of larvae and an
increasing number of adults for a time.

Keep off the icecream and sugary drinks, they're not good for you anyway :-)

Mary

Stuart

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Arklay" contains these words:

Found a wasp buzzing around my kitchen today.

Where do you think this has came from ? I thought they would all be

dead or
hibernating at this time of year, or whatever wasps do in winter ?

I live in Perth, Scotland, so it's not as if I live in a mild part of

the
country.

I suppose my fear is that there may be a nest in the loft or something

?

My wife saw one in the bathroom a few days ago but it disappeared, so

not
sure if this is the same one or another one.

Any ideas ?

Probably a queen which has been woken up by the central heating, or
whatever you heat your place with. (I had to add that, as all I have is
one open fire and a fan heater.....)

I found one a few weeks ago, so I put it in the shed where it can really
hibernate. Most of the year they keep garden pests down - I could have
done with a wopsnest last year - keeping the nasturtiums clear of
patterkillers was a real pain.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/