Old 16-01-2004, 09:15 PM
rjb

Default Crescentia

"Bpjea" (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) wrote in message
"rjb" wrote in message

06 is an easy one. Almost certainly the stilt roots at the base of a

young
palm Socratea (probably exorrhiza but I've seen a lot of S. salaszarii

near
Iquitos also.)

It seems You were right. It looks like Socratea exorrhiza to me.
I'd be glad to see some info about the other pictures I've provided.

Greetings,
Bpjea

I have quite an interest in palms and have studied them intensely before
each trip to Iquitos. Still there are hundreds of species in the area and
distinguishing them is tricky even if you are actually there. Your picture
# 04 looks like the fruit cluster of some Attalea palm. Many of them do not
have pendulous inflorescence, but some do. Perhaps Attalea tessmannii?
Your picture 7 is a stand of palms too far away for me to recognize. Maybe
an Oenocarpus or Euterpe. Can't really say anything about the palm in pic
8. My profession is plasma-physics and my hobby is beetles. Plants are
just a mild interest. I'm surprised you don't get more response from real
plant people.
Rick