Old 16-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Kay Easton

Default What grows in a Shady patch

In article , Colin
writes
I have at the back of my garden a patch where little grows on it. It has
trees above, the lawn gets patchy as one goes furhter.

(i) If where the grass grows patchily, if I put some turf down in spring is
it likely to stay? I've tried seed (including shady) but not much joy.

No. Too dry and too shady for grass. That's why you don't usually get
grass in woodland

(ii) For the shadiest bit, I'd like some sort of shrubs that will grow as
fast as possible in shade and to a good height, eventually over 8foot?

Cherry laurel (be aware that it is poisonous, including the berries) and
'spotty laurel' Aucuba.

(iii) Suggestions for perennial flowers, colour in the summer, in semi
shade?

Difficult. Most woodland things take advantage of the higher light
levels before the leaves grow in spring. Hardy cyclamen would do well
and give you flowers in autumn followed by variegated leaves through to
summer. But colour in summer is more difficult to come by - I'd try a
variation of foliage, and then add some pots of impatiens or similar for
a splash of colour, and replace them with something else when they go
over.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: