Old 16-01-2004, 11:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

With the reservoir behind you as water source, a great choice is
Southern Wax Myrtle,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...acerifera.htm=
=2E
It draws 40 different types of birds and is a dense, evergreen tree
shrub. Birds will eat the fruits.

Someone mentioned Holly. Yaupon Holly,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...omitoria.htm,=

is a bird snactuary due to its proliferation of red berries. See the URL
link.

Possomhaw Viburnum,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...viburnumnud.h=
tm,
another great native with beautiful red berries and cover for wildlife.
(deciduous)

Also, Possomhaw Holly,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...lexdecidua.htm
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...ecidua2gg.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...decidua94.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...decidua83.html
(without is leaves, it blocks the sign pretty good, right?), The Houston
Chronicle quoted me in the gardening section that this is a
show-stopper.

Texas Native Shrubs,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...indexcommon.h=
tm

Texas Native Trees,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../tamuhort.html -
pictured is benny Simpson, co-founder of the Native Plant Society of
Texas.

J. Kolenovsky
VP Houston Chapter, Native Plant Society of Texas
Come join us for free native plants, trees and shrubs.

SJE wrote:
=

I am soon moving into a new home in Houston, TX. Behind my 6ft wood
fence, there will soon be a 2 lane road and maybe some mild
commericial development. I am looking to plant a privacy hedge.
=

- Want it to be *dense* so it will block all sight and maybe dampen
noise.
- Plan to make it 8-10ft, but want it to be able to get taller if
later decide its warranted.
- Will be along a back wood fence, with a resevoir behind me. No
neighbor to worry about.
- Would like it to grow at a reasonable to quick pace.
- Want it evergreen. Houston has hot, humid summers and mild winters
(freezes occasionally, no snow).
- Needs to be hardy. I do not have a green thumb. I will keep it
watered and such, but I want something I don't have to baby along for
it to survive.
- Will be planted into clay...which is pretty much what all ground
soil is in Houston.
=

Does arborvitae grow well in Houston? Or any other dense cedar? Any
other suggestions? Thanks!

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal