Old 16-01-2004, 11:42 PM
animaux

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

My first thought is bamboo. It's a beautiful plant and you can buy several
different clumping varieties which will give you a nicely textured hedge. You
can buy bamboo in many different colors, foliage types, heights and
invasiveness. Though clumping forms will be less invasive, most of them still
run in Texas. Our soil never freezes so things grow and grow. Be careful to
select varieties which will not take over. Clumping varieties can be kept in
bounds by culming in the spring.

You can look all the terms up.

Victoria

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:31:00 GMT, SJE
opined:

I am soon moving into a new home in Houston, TX. Behind my 6ft wood
fence, there will soon be a 2 lane road and maybe some mild
commericial development. I am looking to plant a privacy hedge.

- Want it to be *dense* so it will block all sight and maybe dampen
noise.
- Plan to make it 8-10ft, but want it to be able to get taller if
later decide its warranted.
- Will be along a back wood fence, with a resevoir behind me. No
neighbor to worry about.
- Would like it to grow at a reasonable to quick pace.
- Want it evergreen. Houston has hot, humid summers and mild winters
(freezes occasionally, no snow).
- Needs to be hardy. I do not have a green thumb. I will keep it
watered and such, but I want something I don't have to baby along for
it to survive.
- Will be planted into clay...which is pretty much what all ground
soil is in Houston.

Does arborvitae grow well in Houston? Or any other dense cedar? Any
other suggestions? Thanks!