Old 17-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Dean Hoffman

Default soil compaction

On 1/15/04 11:15 AM, in article , "No Spam"
wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to configure a
small tractor so that no soil compaction occurs below the
depth of tillage.

We have clay soil and no significant freeze-thaw cycle.

Leading contender for tiller is a reciprocating spader.
Falc, Celli, Gramegna, ... (BTW as far as I can tell,
reciprocating spaders are only made in Italy, does anyone
know why?) We would want a unit 1.2 meters or narrower.
Depth of tillage varys greatly with model.

Some cut.

I remember an article I read in a U.S. farm magazine. They tested
several different deep chisels to see which was most effective at loosening
the soil. The implements were pretty close as far as effectiveness.
One thing in the article sticks in my mind. I think they were doing the
test in the fall. Tear the ground up and then stay off. The soil packed
back down pretty quickly if they drove across it after loosening it.

Dean