Old 17-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Eur Ing John Rye

Default Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

Hello All

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , M K Rogerson
writes
Alan, I've tried several times and cannot produce supermarket sized roots.
Best I've managed was about half the shop size. I gave up and just buy them
now. If you haven't tried Celeriac chips you need to do it now!

Celeriac need a very long growing season. Get them started early
(Feb./Mar.) and keep them growing on [without pushing them] through
until late autumn. Once they are mature, they can stand in situ to ripen
if the weather is not too cold and wet.

I would agree with that my typical ones are 5-6 inches in diameter. They do
need adequate water, and I remove the bottom leaves as they split. I suspect
the commercial growers are using a different variety to us amateurs. This
year I tried to compare Monarch, and Balder, but the birds pinched the
labels, so it is try again next year.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England