Old 17-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Neil

Default Gardening charges

"Mike" wrote in message

For maintenance I have to charge by the half-day as my clients are

spread
out. This works well for them and me.
Neil

Can you throw a little more light on the hours in half a day, the rate
either per hour of per half day and do you regard travelling in your own
time or your customers?

A very near close neighbour is trying to 'get out of the factory and get
back to gardening' (He was working with his father in the gardening
business, but moved and had to get a quick job to keep the wolf from the
door) and any advice on the 'self employed' rate to charge would be
appreciated.
I was lucky in what I did as a self employed person, (not garden related)
because my only competition was a state monopoly with a very high charge
rate (British Telecom and their charge for putting in extra Telephone
Sockets) and I could and did make a killing on charging less than half

their
rate, but garden maintenance is a bit different.

Mike

Validity of charges depends largely on the area, the work to be done and the
neck of the gardener! My charges will not apply to your area and visa-versa
(unless you are in East Herts!). You can get a better reputation quicker of
you are good value for money and don't take matters into your own hands.
Despite being an experienced designer also, I always check the householder's
opinion on any changes or work to be done.
Neil