Old 17-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Reka

Default Gene finding could help spore orchid trade bloom

"J Fortuna" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Reka,

On the other hand, I wonder what the negative side effects of this genetic
engineering can be. I noticed that the article mentioned that the speeding
up process has to be turned off once the buds develop, or it might lead to
deformed blooms. I wonder if the engineered orchids flower as long as

normal
ones of the same species though. Also will the plant's life expectancy
change due to this process? Will it be less resistant, or more? It would

be
really neat if orchids could be genetically engineered to make them even
harder to kill than they already are, by making them less susceptible to
fungus for example?

These were some of my own thoughts, hoping someone in the group could
possibly shed some light on the subject.
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---