Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Is this orchid dead [picture enclosed] - Rotation of P1010014.JPG (0/2)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:57:20 -0500, JM wrote
in Message-Id: :

I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid,

For your future reference, binary photographic posts are not
appropriate in discussion newsgroups. Such photographs should be
posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

which I am not sure is alive or dead.

It looks very vigorous to me.

As you can see from the picture, the original stem has become like
hardened wood.

That to which you refer as a 'stem' is actually an inflorescence upon
which the flowers are produced. It is most generally an efimeral
structure, although some Phals will subsequently produce vegetative
growths of additional plants from the buds that did not produce
flowers.

The broad leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you are referring to the long, thin, green-tiped structures, they
appear to be roots. I am unable to discern any new inflorescences in
the photo.