Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
J Fortuna

Default Is this orchid dead [picture enclosed] - Rotation of P1010014.JPG (0/2)

JM,

As Ray pointed out, we are not supposed to post pictures to this group -- I
think part of the reason is so that even users who still have slow modems
can get this group, also this group is archived through google and if there
were photos here they would need much more space, I am not sure about any
other reasons. If you do not have access to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
(some people do not have access to this group, since not all service
providers carry it), you could post the picture on a Web site, and then
include a link to the Web site in the rec.gardens.orchids post. Please do
this in the future.

However, since this time you did post the picture he No, I don't think
this orchid is dead.. The upper leaf is reddish, which could be just the way
this particular Phal grows its new leaves -- some Phals have a red hue to
leaves and that may be normal -- or it may be getting a bit too much sun
light, that will sometimes turn a leaf reddish as well. The green "stems"
toward the right of the picture that you refer to are actually aerial roots.
New orchid growers often mistake aerial roots for spikes, though after a
while one learns to tell them apart. Spikes tend to end on a rounded tip,
wheras root tips tend to be more pointy. Also spikes have nodes (sort of
like knuckles in a finger), whereas roots don't have those divisions. Also
roots are covered with this shiny stuff (I forget what it's called) but it
is a substance that makes it easier for them to absorb moisture from the
air. Roots will often be white or green. And no, a root will not turn into a
spike, it will not flower for you.

When you say that it has not bloomed "for a long time", how long is this?
Also can you discribe the conditions that this plant grows in -- amount of
light (which direction does the window face in? how close to the window is
it?), temperature (did you try providing a 10-15 degree Fahrenheit day/night
difference? Phals use this as a signal to start a new flower spike.).

Best,
Joanna

"JM" wrote in message
I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.