Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Ted Byers

Default Is this orchid dead [picture enclosed] - Rotation of P1010014.JPG (0/2)

"JM" wrote in message
I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Well, I didn't see any picture attached to yur message, but judging from
your description, your plant is happy.

If you want us to see an image, you want to also subscribe to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids (and if it isn't on your news server, harass
your ISP until they get it: ;-) ;-) -you will certainly enjoy the
images normally posted there) and post your picture there and then refer to
that post in any question you want to ask here.

What you're calling a stem is most likely the inflorescence (the organ to
which the flowers are attached), and if it is growing two new ones, it is
very happy (or, if you've had it a while, and it hasn't been repotted in a
couple years, it may be a last gasp attempt at reproducing before dying).
That the leaves at the bottom are green and growing is a good sign, though,
of reasonably good health. Can you see any of the roots? If so, are they
firm and either green or white? If so, that is another good sign. (you
might be able to take a look at the roots but gently shifting some of the
potting material to one side to uncover the uppermost roots if it doesn't
have any aerial roots). I would not repot it now, though, unless there are
significant signs of distress. Instead, wait until the coming flowers are
finished.

That said, if the original inflorescence is woody, and has no longer green,
the plant is telling you to cut it off. If there is any green left on it,
and there are several nodes, cut just above the uppermost green node.
Otherwise, cut it a centimetre or two from where it emerges from the base of
the plant.

If you've had the plant for more than two years, you probably should have
repotted by now, but it is hard to advise you on that without knowing how
long you've had it, when it was last repotted, what it is potted in, &c.
But I wouldn't worry just yet since it seems to be happy.

HTH

Ted