Old 18-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Robyn Rhudy

Default Fish freezing solid in shallows

For the second time this winter, I found a frozen goldfish. I never had
this before in 6 years so I can't figure out why the goldfish are all
going up into the shallows and then freezing in solid. My pond has about
a foot of water in the most shallow area and it's frozen to the bottom
there with at least one goldfish frozen in time with his mouth open and
pectoral fin paddling to the side. The deep end has openings in it but
the fish hang out in the shallows presumably to remain more hidden under
the more opaque ice. I thought one of my 1.5 ft orfe was dead too
but when I looked later, he had moved. I wish I could talk to the fish
and get them to stay in the deep end (26")! I sledged some ice off part
of the falls today since it went above freezing (the shocks should not
have reached the fish as it's not on the pond itself and I'm a feable
hammerer plus they seemed ok) and threw it across the pond's ice cover. I
also walked on the shallow ice (strange feeling to walk on your pond!). I
ran some water into the pond to raise the level a little as it goes down
from evaporation and drinking animals. I only let it go a little over the
ice cover though as I'm always afraid some fish will go swimming on top
and freeze. But, since they're too busy under the ice in the shallow area
dying, they won't do that! It was 5-10 degrees F a few mornings in the
last few weeks here in Zone 6/7, and the pond was almost frozen except for
the falls (with the de-icer at the head of it). I bailed quite a few
buckets of hot water recently and picked up a lot of ice (with water
gloves). I'm tired of it!

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -