Old 18-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Martin Brown

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

In message , IMM
writes

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

The UK is aiming for 25% of its power generation by wind. CHP Stirling
boilers are also envisaged to fill gaps too.

CHP has its place in the right environment. But there are lots of
nimbys.

It would surprise me if they ever got that much wind power installed.

There is a mass installation programme right now, with much off it just
off-shore, out of sight and in direct line of wind.

Britain is the windiest country in Europe.

Though at the moment the emphasis seems to be entirely on installing
windmills and not on commissioning or operating them. The ones visible
along the A19 seem to be permanently feathered and non rotating. And
even if they were operating the wind doesn't blow continuously so you
still need backup conventional power stations for the cold windless
days.

But at least wind generation has more prospect of being useful than
solar power at our latitude and with the UK's cloudy maritime climate.

No. Just that other panels, such as Thermomax, are far higher per squ foot
area than a normal cheap flat plate.

Lashings of hot water on the few sunny days in mid summer, and horrid
technical problems in mid winter trying to keep the system from
freezing.

The technology and engineering is there, and it is improving by the month.
That is not the problem at all. It is educating the people about the new
technology and the will to push it through.

It is pretty hard to find applications where even the latest PV cells
are truly cost effective. You have to be a long way from any mains power
before their cost per watt justifies using them.

Solar power works reasonably at latitudes below about 45 degrees, but it
is quite frankly a complete non-starter at latitudes 55N and above.
Unless you count biomass conversion in forests for indirect fuel
generation.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown