Old 18-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

On 1/17/04 11:35 PM, in article , "B & J"
bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/16/04 7:52 PM, in article
,
"Ann" wrote:

expounded:

Lol. Schools are closed in New England because its cold in the winter.

No, actually, schools are closed to give everyone a four day weekend.
Well, not everyone, just those lucky enough to be off on Monday.
Mainly teachers BSEG

Ann,
That evil little thought crossed my mind too!
Cheryl

As a former teacher, that is an EVIL thought. If we had closed schools every
time the thermometer reached -10 in MN, we would have missed at least half
of January and part of early February.

Hey - want to come teach in NH? We could use you and its warmer here!
Seriously, there a lot of cases of frostbite the previous two days - kids
just weren't dressed properly for the cold and lots of buses ran late 5-10
minutes. I can imagine between that and the heating costs (there is a
constant stream in and out of all the buildings), it was the wiser move.

The one day schools were closed
because of extreme cold (-40 state wide), we teachers were required to make
up the time on a Saturday.

When temperatures reached -20 or lower during the years I was teaching, I
made it a point to walk the mile to school because it was too much of a
hassle to worry about my car starting. Everybody had a set of jumper cables
in the trunk, but there were times when vehicles had to be towed to a heated
garage in order to get them started when gas lines froze.

John

It really comes down to proper dress - if you have it you're fine, but
heaven help you if you have no clue.

Cheryl