Old 18-01-2004, 03:12 PM
madgardener

Default New show on PBS, P. Allen Smith?

the one I loved was the Perennial Gardener with a gray haired lady and it
seemed to come out of Minnesota or somewhere midwestern. We got it when
Direct TV provided random PBS links to the station. Now that the option is
gone, I am forced to get my local PBS which is fine most times, but haven't
had the privilege of seeing that neat show. I had to stop watching Victory
Garden for the first time in decades because I'm almost always scheduled to
work on Saturdays. It hasn't the same feel since Roger Swain left and
Russell Morash quit producing it. We won't get a flame started about Marion
and her cooking. It's been done adn I'm aware that not everyone liked
Marion. What I really miss is on Saturdays when I can't see Gardener's
Diary with Erica Glasner on HGTV. And since the new year, they've changed
the programming. Two Garden Guys which was rather unique, is no longer
airing. They've moved up the garden shows in time, and I still haven't seen
sign of rerunning Gardener's Diary for people who miss it's first run
Saturdays. That it's repeats is fine for now, I've missed a lot of them over
the last season due to my schedule, but that it's now airing at 1:30 instead
of 3:30 is a bit of a stretch for me. I'll adjust somehow.

With Squire gone on the road now, there won't be thoughtful reecordings of
it for me when I get home on Saturdays. And oldest son doesn't always pay
attention to the clock when he's plugged in upstairs on the computer.

and I still wish Barbara Damrosch and her husband, Elliot Coleman would
produce another "Gardening Naturally" show. It's more revelent now than it
ever was. I watched it regularly on Discovery when it ran for those two or
three years. .It was one of the best put out besides the Victory Garden at
that time. Another good one was Backyard Gardening but Pat Simpson now has
moved on and has a show on HGTV about Before and After. He used to be the
projects guy for garden things on that show. Don't know what happened to the
host of that show either. They come and go......

So I stick to Gardening by the yard when I remember it's airing early.
Gardener's Diary which is my absolute favorite now, and keep hoping they
bring back Gardener's Journal which was the Canadian show that was awesome
too. That one kinda slipped away last year on HGTV. PBS needs to take
stock that there are still gardeners out there needing uninterrupted quality
garden shows on the weekend! (I'd even watch on Sunday! It's bad enough
they rerun Lawrence Welk here on our PBS every Saturday evening......)
madgardener up on the very foggy ridge, back in Fairy Holler, unable to see
English Mountain as it's socked in with clouds and fog, in Eastern
TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
"mmarteen" wrote in message
I noticed a new gardening show, P. Allen Smith garden on PBS and it also
seems to be in syndication on an abc affiliate here in the twin cities.

So
far, the shows seem to focus on classic garden design in the most
traditional sense. The guy looks sort of like the John Tesh of gardening,
but he has had a few good project suggestions and ideas so I will keep
watching. Better than watching reruns of Victory Garden, which has gotten
really pretty boring of late anyway.

mm