Old 18-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Steve

Default SLR Light Meter Calculator

Ray wrote:
I have put together a JavaScript calculator for determining light intensity
using your SLR's built-in meter.

http://www.firstrays.com/measurelight.htm

Comments, please?

Well, that's about the handiest thing I've ever seen on that subject!

I tried to use my camera to measure my light intensity many years ago. I
gave it up as useless. The reason being that one f stop change or one
exposure setting change doubled the foot candle reading.
For example, suppose you are using f/11. Pointing at the paper gives an
exposure of 1/500 but a little movement changes it to 1/250. So it's
either 2048 foot candles or it's 4096 foot candles. That's a big
difference. Which one is closer to the truth? I have no idea.
Maybe it's my camera. Mine has little LED lights in the viewer so it's
one or the other. I once used an older camera that had a moving needle.
Maybe one like that would point somewhere in between 1/250 and 1/500 and
give a better idea of the true reading?

Steve