Old 18-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Phisherman

Default Lucky bamboo stopped growing

Hi Kathie,
Do you grow your Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) in pebbles, plain
water, or soil? I have other Dracaenas, but each has different care.
I guess changing the water out is recommended to keep the water from
getting sour, but the water change does disrupt the roots a little a
little. I used Shultz (7 drops per qt) but at 1/4 the strength for
two months but there was no noticeable change in growth. If I move
the plant 2 feet, it will get brief morning sun, but the dealer told
me "no sun." I find it hard to believe that it would die if planted
in potting soil. Does anyone have Dracaena sanderiana growing well in
a (sandy) potting mix? Under fluorescent lights?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:02:45 GMT, Kathie
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
*I purchased 6" stick of lucky bamboo stick last summer. It had a
1/2" sprout coming out of the top side. Per instructions, I have
been
changing the water (using rain water) every two weeks and keeping it
in bright light, no sun. I have it growing in a glass jar, half
filled
with gravel with temperatures around 65-70. The top quickly grew
new
green leaves, but now it has stopped growing. I went back to the
dealer, and he said "they behave that way." I asked if potting it
in
soil would help make it grow, and he said that it would die if I did
that because it needs constant moisture. Anyone know how to grow a
large lucky bamboo? And, how do some grow in spiral shapes? *

I have three lucky bamboos which have grown huge (1-2' )per year,
through the method of just watering them once in a while like
everything else! I think that changing out the water is disruptive to
the root system, and removes nutrients unnecessarily. Try just leaving
it alone--and wet. The curly ones, by the way, are trained that way
from tiny shoot stage. Hope this helps...
Kathie