Old 18-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Bob

Default Composting question

Hi all.

I have recently taken early retirement and invested in a 1 acre back garden
that is covered in shrubs and conifers and has honeysuckle miles long
growing through it. The shrubs and confiers are all overgrown and some
are absolutely massive, for example I have discovered a flat growing conifer
that is 30 yards in diameter and it had rooted along it's branches. The
decision I have taken is to clear the whole lot and start again. The soil
although clearly exhausted is quite deap and fairly light.
I have started the clearance with a chainsaw and brushcutter and have
cleared around a third of it so far. I am digging out the roots as I go.
I have invested in a shredder and I am only buring the roots and think
branches, the rest has been reduced to chippings with the shredder. As you
can imagine I have a fairly big pile of chippings. I have built half a
dozen large compost bins (48" square and 60" high) as I was thinking of
trying to compost the chippings.

The question is if I compost the chippings will it be of any use.

Bob