Old 18-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Privet Hedge

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:48:55 +0000, Neil Robertson wrote:
I have just moved house and have a large privet hedge standing 8 feet high
and probably 4 feet wide! I would like to keep the hedge there for the time
being to give us privacy but can I prune it really hard, say 6 feet high and
reduce the width by 2 feet? Will it grow green again? If so when would be
the best time to prune?

Diane,

It should be fine. Be prepared for it to look strageley and bare for a
while though - in fact it may well become see through until it grows more
leaves. I personally would be tempted to wait until the weather is a
little kinder and then do it.

Make sure you give it a good feed (manure or whatever) at the same time,
to help it with regrowth.

I don't know if you'll manage to keep the hedge to 2 ft wide - it sounds a
bit narrow for privet. At my previous house, the privet hedge went from
about 4ft wide at the bottom to 3ft wide at the top (6ft high), and it was
about right. Don't forget to prune you hedge in a 'A' shape.

Note - you will need to prune this hedge at least 4 times a year between
march and september.

Sarah