Old 18-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Phisherman

Default fluorescent lights and seed starting

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:35:33 -0600, C wrote:

How close do fluorescent lights have to be to indoor propagation trays to
be effective? I would like to use the ceiling lights I have in the
basement. If I were to set up a couple of sawhorses with propagation
mats, do you think I could get by with the ceiling lights, or will I have
to lower them to within a foot or so of the seeds?

I will vary depending on what you are growing. I have a flat of
parsley seeds germinating under fluorescent lights. The tubes are
about 2" from the soil surface. Hang your lights on chains for ease
of adjustment--much easier than trying to adjust the pots and trays.