Old 18-01-2004, 08:32 PM
NetMax

Default What Can I Legally Say?

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
(Nsty N8) wrote:

What can I say or write without getting myself sued.

In addition to my other comments, you have the option of posting
anonymously, for example via Google using a throw-away Hotmail
account. You can still be tracked down via IP address, but doing so
requires a good amount of technical expertise, and possibly the
co-operation of one or more ISPs - in other words, it puts an up-front
burden on the company to even attempt the lawsuit, which will stop the
less rabid sorts from pursuing it.

On the other hand, comments made by anonymous posters, unless they're
well-established and respected in a group by some screen name, are
less likely to be taken seriously by the average group reader. For
example, NetMax is fairly anonymous, but highly respected - anything
he says carries a large level of credibility - whereas a newcomer who
appears to have shown up for no other reason than to gripe would be
largely ignored.

Whew! considering the source of the remark, and the calibre of the people
in this newsgroup, that's quite a compliment, thanks!

I hate being anonymous, but I hate spam more (and me with a slow dial-up
too). My hotmail account fills to maximum (sorry if legitimate emails
have trouble getting through), and I just trim off the top 5% to keep it
active.

As for Graham pondering whether I'm a guy or gal, my beard would give
that one away quickly ;~)

I'm sorry I can't add anything useful to this thread. In Canada, I think
that you could probably stay out of trouble if you kept to verifiable
facts, and presented your case objectively, but I have no legal
background, and it varies by country, so I'll just mostly read along.
Personally I think that litigation is the last resort of inflexible and
unimaginative people. What is certain, is that litigation starts as a
financial & emotional burden which ignores who is right and who is wrong,
(and from there, it goes downhill ;~), and my regards go out to all
hobbyists (buyers or vendors) who find themselves involved.

NetMax

--
www.ericschreiber.com