Old 18-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Nathaniel Nathaniel is offline
Registered User

Location: Otley
Default Sarracenia purpurea: gardeners dream or growers hype?

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Spragg
A couple of weeks ago, at a county show nearby, there was a bloke in a
little white van, wedged in among the legions of Barbour vendors. He
was selling carnivorous plants, and I was particularly taken - taken
enough to shell out £7 for one - by the "slug-eating plants" that
occupied one of his tables. They were described as peat-bog dwellers
of North America/Canada, cold-hardy down to -8 deg C or so, and
slug-eaters: the more they eat, the bigger they get, up to a couple of
feet across or so.

So now I have this plant in my possession, certain questions spring to
mind. Like: given that (in a pot context) it likes to sit in a saucer
of (rain)water, how are the slugs going to get across the moat? I
would like to plant it out in the garden, in a simulated peat-bog
micro-environment. Is this a reasonable thing to do (for instance,
sink a large container filled with peat, plant it in that and keep it
well watered at all times)? And like: is it possible to propagate this
plant? The thought of dozens of slug-eating plants dotted around my
allotment is almost too awesome to contemplate .....

Andy
--

Hell! - don't worry about old "raving Dave" Ullrich ...
Basically he's a sociopath who can't see a red rag