Old 19-01-2004, 12:32 AM
John Savage

Default White Onions - Maturity?

Antipodean Bucket Farmer writes:
Like the "Subject" says... How do I tell when my white
onions are ready to eat? Thickness or colour of the
leaves poking out? Or do I need to peek under the soil
a bit? Or, what?

Onions are supposed to be grown with their bulbs mostly exposed.
I just forget why, probably they are prone to rot otherwise, but it was
specifically mentioned in a tv gardening program quite recently. But in
any case, since the roots are attached to the very bottom of the bulb you
can scratch around the sides and expose the bulb with impunity.

I usually buy brown onions from the supermarket, they are always
cheaper. But recently I bought 7 or 8 white ones and within a few days
every one had started to rot around the top. So it's a reminder to make
sure you allow yours to dry out well before storing. I don't see why
white should be any different to brown though.

You could initially pull every second onion before they reach maturity,
making extra room for the others which you allow to grow more and will
probably dry and store.