Old 19-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Glenn Lynn

Default Help! Air bubbler is running but there is no hole in pond...

Is your pond deep enough so the water is not frozen around your
bubbler? That is, is the bubbler below the ice line? If the bubbler
is frozen in you should unplug it. If not then let it run. It will
still be pumping oxygen into the water which will help your fish.
There should be a hole in the ice to let harmful gases out. I don't
recommend "smashing" a hole with a hammer or anything like that. You
could try drilling or sawing in a hole.

My pond is frozen over also. I, too, have a bubbler running and
there is not a hole where the air discharge is located. However, I do
have one of those 50 watt thermostatically controlled pond heaters and
there is no ice at that location. I think they cost about $40 but
they are well worth the money.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:18:55 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:

On Long Island and my pond is completely covered in snow. I need opinions.
I can hear my bubbler going but there is no visible hole. Will my bubbler
motor burn out? Do I need to unplug it and deal with opening a hole another
way (when and if it ever stops snowing and being artic cold)? Should I just
let it chug?

DKat