Old 19-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Kay Easton

Default Windbreak/Hedge

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Bevan Price) wrote:

You missed the part where they said that any shrub or tree that grew
very quickly rarely stopped at six feet.

Oh, I did hear that bit. They also mentioned Jerusalem Artichoke. Sure,
it's not a tree or shrub but it's plant. Hence my reference to "hedge
plant"

Well, likewise - the reason jerusalem artichoke shoots like a rocket up
to 6ft is that it needs to be up there and flowering before dying down
in the winter - so any other plants doing the same are unlikely to be
around for the winter.

But JS might not be such a bad idea - it has pretty tough frost proof
stems, so although you wouldn't have the leaves over winter, you could
still have a dense thicket of 'canes'.

Which leads me to another solution - bamboo - a non-creeping variety.
That'd give you a dense thicket of canes , and leaves over the winter
(well, mine has, anyway)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: