Old 19-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Frank White

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

In article , lid
says...

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

Well, you can feed them fresh grass clippings, as long as it's
not contaminated with pesticide/herbicides. But rabbits need
a varied diet. Alfalfa, weeds, vegetables, carrots, apples,
potato peels, grain, a bit of salt: Mix those in with the
grass and the rabbits should be ok.

You can always compost the clippings or use them for mulch, too...

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Have you asked the chickens about that?

I hope you've got plenty of straw and bedding materials in there
they can burrow into to retain body heat. Lots of food and
unfrozen water, too.

FW