Old 19-01-2004, 05:32 AM
B & J

Default OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

As a former teacher, that is an EVIL thought. If we had closed schools

every
time the thermometer reached -10 in MN, we would have missed at least

half
of January and part of early February.

Hey - want to come teach in NH? We could use you and its warmer here!
Seriously, there a lot of cases of frostbite the previous two days - kids
just weren't dressed properly for the cold and lots of buses ran late 5-10
minutes. I can imagine between that and the heating costs (there is a
constant stream in and out of all the buildings), it was the wiser move.

Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. I subbed in the school where I
taught for a few years after I retired, but after we moved to our new
location that ended. After thirty-five years in the classroom, I found the
last ten years far less pleasurable than the first twenty-five. This latter
period was when students gained court ordered rights, which meant keeping
students in my class no matter how disruptive they were, and cutbacks in
school funding increased class sizes (35-40). The things that kept me going
were the many great kids with which I worked and the fact that I was never
bored. I guarantee that it wasn't the salary!

It really comes down to proper dress - if you have it you're fine, but
heaven help you if you have no clue.

Cheryl

That definitely is a parental responsibility, and often it's the parents and
the kids who have not clue, particularly in the lower grades. Vanity does
cause frost bite to some kids, particularly junior/senior high girls.

John