Old 19-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

Default Question about parents!

Actually Joanna, 'Carmela' and 'Joe' could be from the very same parents.

Basically, once a cross is bloomed and named, such as Orchid World, each and
every plant from the cross of Malibu Imp and Deventeriana - even if it's the
reciprocal cross, Deventeriana x Malibu Imp - is Orchid World.

From among the different Orchid Worlds out there, some are likely to have
outstanding characteristics, so the owner has the right to attach a cultivar
name to the plant, in these cases, 'Joe' and 'Carmela.' They could have
been from the very same seed capsule or from a totally different set of
parents.

Anyone can attach a cultivar name to any plant they own that does not
already have one. There is no registration involved as there is for grex
names like "Orchid World." If I got a particularly nice Orchid World, I
could print the tag to say Phalaenopsis Orchid World 'First Rays', but if I
had 'Joe' it would always be 'Joe'.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Claude,
It just so happens that I had inquired about the parentage of a Phal

Orchid
World 'Joe' on alt.binaries.pictures.orchids recently, and Susan Erickson
had responded. If I understand correctly the perantage of 'Carmela' should
be the same as the 'Joe', but maybe just from different growers, right?

Here
is Sue's response to my query:
"Susan Erickson" wrote

It is Phal Malibu Imp x Deventeriana

It is 50 % amboinensis,

25% amabilis

12.5% lueddemannia

and finally 12.5% violacea.

SuE

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello!

I have the Phal. Orchid World `Carmela `and I would like to know how to

you
do to find out the parent of this plant?

I tried a few database but it`s not working or I am completely dumb.

Claude