Old 19-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Bob G

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:33:38 -0500, "Fito"
wrote:

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on
layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected
with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back
in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the
chickens are ok. Ok?

Fito

Hmmm,

Fito, I live in Minnesota.

Now, there are birds who live here throughout the year, including the
deepest part of winter. One of those, for instance, is a thing called
a pheasant. Another is the wild turkey. Yet another is a thing
called the prairie chicken. All, like a chicken, are primarily ground
dwellers.

Now, I do go outside in the winter here, quite regularly, and do get
around. In fact this morning, as is my usual habit, I was up and
about at 4 am and out taking a little jog by 4:15. Just enough to
shake the kinks out and loosen up my somewhat aging joints, and get
the blood flowing. At age 55 I'm finding that when I don't limber up,
shake things out and loose, this aging bod feels like crap and has
difficulty waking up and coming alive.

Anyway, nice morning. Calm, peaceful, a refreshing minus 8 degrees
fahrenheit if I'm to believe my outdoor thermometer. Very peaceful
jog, especially as I live in the country (rural).

Wanna know something? I know my area, in which I live. Know it well.
Know where some local wild turkey live. And pheasant. Etc.

Strange as it may seem, evidently none of them seemed to think it was
all that cold. I'm speculating of course.

But I sure didn't see any vapors rising from the furnaces of the wild
turkeys or pheasant.

And I'm a right friendly neighbor, and they know that as I don't take
pot shots at them or chase em or anything. And they could easily see
exhaust vapors rising from the exhaust pipe of my furnace. So I'm
presuming it's not a matter of them having run out of fuel oil or
propane in their turkey and pheasant houses. Otherwise one might
expect they'd come knocking on this neighbor's door, saying "Burrrrrr
..... might we come in and warm up neighbor?"

I'm being tongue in cheek, of course.

You're comment is ridiculous, so I was responding in kind.

That fellow's chickens, if he's provided them wind breaks, adequate
roof so that they can stay dry, acceptable bedding materials, and
decent food. Are just fine. Provided he assures they have or can get
liquid water. A wild bird has the option of searching for water. A
caged one does not.

In fact his chickens probably are quite happy to feel relatively safe
from fox, coyote, wolf, bobcat, or cougar, etc.

I take that back, as they've almost certainly never been wild, they've
likely never had to learn to fear such wild and natural predators.

And as he provides them plentiful food, if he does, for a critter,
they're probably fat, happy, and sassy. Figuring they have a pretty
easy life. As compared to their cousins. Most of whom will die very
early in their lives, never seeing maturity at all.

You should think before posting material which might cause others to
wonder if yah know a damned thing about the animals you say you care
so much about.

Bob