Old 19-01-2004, 12:04 PM
John Bachman

Default Help! Air bubbler is running but there is no hole in pond...

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:18:55 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:

On Long Island and my pond is completely covered in snow. I need opinions.
I can hear my bubbler going but there is no visible hole. Will my bubbler
motor burn out? Do I need to unplug it and deal with opening a hole another
way (when and if it ever stops snowing and being artic cold)? Should I just
let it chug?

Hearing the sound of the pump is no assurance that air is being
pumped. The line could be frozen or, if your bubbler is more than a
foot down there is not air being delivered to it. You have to
actually see the bubbles to be sure that they are there.

When it gets cold the diaprhragm in the pump loses some of its
flexibility and cannot generarate the pressure needed to get air to a
deep bubbler.

Water vapor in the air being pumped can freeze in the line. When I
have that happen I drag the air hose from my compressor out to the
pond and blow it out.

John