Old 19-01-2004, 03:09 PM
animaux

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

I don't know that all Oleander will be dead in two years. I've had a beautiful
stand for 4 years and it looks fine. Yes, there is this OLS to be concerned
about, but oak wilt is also there. I suppose your position is correct in that
if one plants something for a screen, and in a few years has that thicket, it is
a waste of time if it then dies just as it's getting beautiful. In that, we
agree. OLS may be more prevalent in Houston. In this area of Texas, it's found
in parts of the region which over use Oleander. It's deer resistant, so it's
everywhere deer are found browsing in gardens.

Victoria

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:59:07 -0600, J Kolenovsky opined:

Yes, plant it and it'll be dead in 2 years with OLS.
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/xylella/oleander.html.
OLS exists in texas.

Secret Asian Man wrote:

"meanbeagle" wrote in message
One word "OLEANDER". Oleander loves Houston's soil and weather.

Good choice. I also use it as a screen. Not only does it grow fast and hide
unsightly areas, it blooms profusely in May and June. For a
"stick-it-in-the-ground-and-forget-it" large shrub, oleander can't be beat.
It's so tough that they plant it on freeway medians.