Old 19-01-2004, 03:14 PM
D Kat

Default Soil testing

Where are you at and do you know what kind of tree you have?
"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , "Jason

Walter"
writes:

I think my yard has some type of fungus or dieses. I have a very large

tree
that has something on the leaves. Some type of fungus/discoloration. I

have
tried to lay sod 2 times, but each time it dies. First was centipede and

the
second was St Augustine. The backyard is mostly covered by the tree and

the
grass dies within a few weeks. The front is not covered, but it dies

after a
season. In the back I even tried spreading that seed mix that has

everything
including rye grass and that didn't even take. I had some real thin blade
grass sprout then die.

I want to try a soil testing company, but it looks like they only test

for
PH and Nitrogen. Is there any that test for dieses as well ?

Thanks
Jason

Jason
Your problem could be related to pH. Extremes of high and low pH ,
too acid or alkaline, could cause plants to die.

I would not assume diseases at this point, but would start at the
beginning with a pH test and tests for Phosphorus, Potassium,
Magnesium, Sulfur, and Calcium. Most companies are able to
do those basic tests. They will also interpret them and make some
recommendations. You say "looks like they only do pH and N,"
have you talked with the company and asked? Most companies
will do the whatever test you are willing to pay for. You will likely
need to ask for the interpretation and possible solutions and be
prepared to may more for advice.

Soil texture could also be a problem. Is the soil very sandy or clay?
Perhaps you need to water more if its sandy. or less if clay. Maybe
amendments such as organic matter would help. If you do water, is
the water able to penetrate to the roots?
Are there other plants in the area that are growing well?

Good luck
Emilie
NorCal